Tel. 02072492244 or 07836338766
© UK Turkish Islamic Trust 2014 9-15 Shacklewell Lane, Hackney, London E8 2DA Web design by JMCWeb
The UK Turkish Islamic Trust and Mosque was originally built as the Stoke Newington Synagogue.
You can still see the foundation stone outside the building facing Shacklewell Lane. It records that the stone was laid by the Hon. Nathaniel Charles Rothschild (Chairman of the Building Committee) on 13 September 1903, along with Gustav Tuck (Treasurer of the Building Committee). The architect was Lewis Solomon FRIBA, and the builders were Perry Brothers.
Solomon (1848-1928) had a major influence on the design of British synagogues. He was Honorary Architect to the Federation of Synagogues, and was Architect and Surveyor to the United Synagogue. The Stoke Newington Synagogue was his biggest commission.
The Stoke Newington Synagogue was built as the successor to the New Dalston Synagogue. The new synagogue gave seating accommodation for 450 men and 300 women. The associated school had room for 250 children. On its completion the synagogue was described as “plain but substantial, and the simplicity of the internal decoration is effective”.
In 1967 the synagogue incorporated the congregation of the Dalston Synagogue.
The Stoke Newington Synagogue closed in 1976 and the congregation was amalgamated with Hackney Synagogue.
With the foundation of the UK Turkish Islamic Trust in 1977, negotiations for acquiring the former synagogue took place, resulting in the acquisition of the building and surrounding land.
It was not only the first Mosque in the UK for the Turkish Cypriot community, but also the earliest of Hackney’s large Mosques.
The principal alteration to the original building was the addition of a dome, which was added in 1983.
Although some features of the interior were unnecessary for its conversion into a Mosque (principally the seating), many of the original features remain. These include the gallery (now reserved for female worshippers), the decorated columns, the former pulpit, and the decorated apse behind.
|History of the Building|
|Arranging a Funeral|